Electronics – General Instructions
About Max ‘standalones applications’
They do not require a full installation of Max. They allow one to modify parameters and save fader values but they are not editable, so one cannot change the programming. Some people may prefer the editable version of the patch, which requires a full installation of Max as well as, depending of the specific patch, some particular add-on libraries, e.g. the Ircam Spat, from Ircam Forum, see forumnet.ircam.fr.
For further information about Max go to www.cycling74.com
Windows versions of the Max patches are not systematically available for download, but can be made available on request.
For specific requests or if you are experiencing issues regarding the patches, please contact us.
Suggestion for audio interfaces
Suggestion for computer specifications in general
– Macintosh: Macbook Pro Intel Core i7 with 8 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.x or newer
– PC: Intel Core i7, 8 GB, RAM; Quicktime for Windows, Windows XP or newer.
Suggestion for external reverberation
– for infinite reverberation, Lexicon PCM91
– for general reverberation, Lexicon or TC Electronic
Nota Bene: reverberations can be achieved with Max.
Suggestion for external harmonizers
– Yamaha SPX90 (discontinued) or SPX2000, Eventide Ultra Harmonizers series, or any high quality dual pitch shifting device.
Nota Bene: harmonizers can be achieved with Max.
Suggestion for MIDI
– MIDI interface: simple MIDI interfaces (e.g. Motu Fastlane or other brands) can be used.
– MIDI triggering: sustain pedal (for Max triggering) should be connected to the computer through a MIDI keyboard or a voltage-to-MIDI converting device (e.g. MIDI Solutions’ Footswitch controller, see www.midisolutions.com)
Suggestion for microphones
As much as possible, use headset microphones (e.g. www.dpamicrophones.com) for voice, flute, violin, viola, etc., and close miking, using directionnal, cardioid microphones for other instruments, in order to avoid feedback during performance.
Suggestion for audio mixers
– we recommend digital mixers (e.g. Yamaha DM1000 or DM2000), allowing 4 or more outputs. When analogue mixers are used, they should be used together with compressors and equalizers.
Suggestion for speakers
– any high quality diffusion system (e.g. Meyer Sound, Genelec, Amadeus, B&A, EAW, etc.)